- Control over decisions regarding how and where to invest funds
Self Managed Super Funds
Self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) have been the fastest growing segment of the finance industry, with more people taking control of their retirement savings. Whether you are considering if an SMSF is suited to you, have just started out or have held an existing SMSF for many years, we can help. We have expertise in SMSF management, compliance and administration.
A Self-Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) is a superannuation vehicle run by you, for you. You are in control of the investment decisions that affect the fund and its finances and consequently your financial future.
People who set up and manage their own personal superannuation fund are typically motivated by the desire to take charge of their retirement funding outcomes. A Self-Managed Super Fund offers greater flexibility and control compared to institutional funds. By establishing your own SMSF you can also take advantage of the tax-effective superannuation environment.
We can advise you on the suitability of a SMSF for your circumstances and develop personalised SMSF advice that’s right for you including:
- Setting up of the SMSF and weighing up the structural options
- Establishing and maintenance of a strategic investment strategy
- Monitoring and adjusting of investments to respond to market conditions
- Ongoing administration services and reporting through our custom-made platform
- Advice to ensure the fund remains compliant and operates within legislative requirements
- Technical pension strategies
Every SMSF is unique, however, each SMSF will share some of the following key benefits:
- Flexibility to personalise and alter the investment strategy at any time
- Ability to pool member funds together to reduce costs
- Wide investment choice including direct shares, residential or commercial property, alternative assets, term deposits and cash
- Borrow to invest through the fund to open up new investment opportunities
- Flexibility to hold and fund insurances
- May be an attractive structure in which small business owners can own their business premises
- SMSFs don’t pay their tax liability, if any, until sometime after the end of the financial year, allowing this money to work in the fund a bit longer.
- For large balances SMSF is generally cheaper than larger commercial super fund because the admin fees are fixed and do not increase as the super fund grows.
Our own SMSF platform – Stanford Brown Super Solutions
We are very pleased to present our clients with our own SMSF platform. Our unique system provides SMSF trustees with a central hub to control all their requirements from one secure online location. The benefits of using Stanford Brown Super Solutions are:
- Easy online setup
- Personalised secure SMSF dashboard.
- Fund summary providing realtime snapshots of your fund.
- Realtime member balance summaries
- Pension summary providing key metric levels
Whilst advocates for the obvious advantages of Self Managed Superannuation, they are not without risk and we regularly stress, SMSFs are not for everyone. The amount an individual has in super is by no means the only qualifying factor that should be in play. Thorough suitability scrutiny should always be conducted before making a decision to set up an SMSF.